ELECTION COMMISSION OF PAKISTAN
ECP HOLDS IMPORTANT MAIDEN MEETING
Islamabad, the 15th June, 2011.- The first meeting of the newly constituted Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) was held today under the chairmanship of Hon’ble Chief Election Commissioner of Pakistan, Justice (R) Hamid Ali Mirza and attended by four Hon’ble Members Election Commission of Pakistan, namely, Justice (Retd) Muhammad Roshan Essani, Justice (Retd) Riaz Kayani, Justice (Retd) Shazad Akbar Khan and Justice (Retd) Fazal-ur-Rehman. Mr. Ishtiak Ahmad Khan, Secretary Election Commission of Pakistan and other senior officers also attended the meeting.
2. After due deliberation and discussion on different items of Agenda, the Election Commission of Pakistan, inter alia, took the following decisions unanimously:
i) The date of poll for bye-election in Constituency No. PB-26 Jaffarabad-II, already fixed as the 9th July 2011, was confirmed;
ii) As to the issue of bye-elections conducted by the Chief Election Commissioner after promulgation of the Eighteenth Amendment to the Constitution, the ECP resolved that since the matter is pending adjudication before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of Pakistan and the learned Attorney General has already made a statement at the Bar that status of these bye-elections can be validated through an amendment in the Constitution, therefore, the ECP may await the final decision by the Supreme Court in this regard;
iii) Approved the revision of electoral rolls in collaboration with NADRA, in the light of decision taken in its meeting held on 14.06.2011 wherein draft contract document to be signed between ECP and NADRA for revision of electoral rolls was approved;
iv) The documents submitted by the following 14 newly formed political parties were found to be in conformity with the provisions of the Political Parties Order, 2002 and directed to be retained on record in accordance with law:
1. Pakistan Ittehad Yaqeen Tanzeem Party
2. Justice and Development Party Pakistan
3. Young Blood Christian League
4. Pakistan Muslim League “H” Haqiqi
5. Pakistan Dharti Maan Party
6. Awami Justice Party
7. Pakistan Patriotic Movement
8. Sindh Taraqi Passand Party (STP)
9. Allah-o-Akbar Tahreek
10.Peoples Democratic League
11.Awami Jamhuri Ittehad Pakistan
12.Tahreek Bahali-e-Soba Bahawalpur Pakistan
13.Pakistan Basic Rights Movement
3. Approved the proposal for appointment of retired Judges of the High Courts or retired District and Sessions Judges, who are eligible to be appointed as Judges of the High Courts as Election Tribunals for speedy trial and disposal of election petitions in accordance with the provisions of Section 67 of the Representation of the People Act, 1976 according to which an election petition is required to be decided within 120 days. It was also resolved that such Judges will be appointed for the aforesaid purpose on contract basis.
4. Besides the above stated points, other relevant issues for smooth running of the Commission were deliberated and decision made thereon.